Wednesday 4 May 2011

Retro Craft Books



Recently I bought a few fantastic retro craft books from a local charity shop. At 50p each they were an absolute bargain, especially considering the content!


The Complete Book of Handicrafts is absolutely brilliant. Printed in the 70’s, it covers a plethora of crafts including crochet, rug-making, smocking, leatherwork, picture framing and much more! 


I’ve already found a heap of potential new projects. These mouse pincushions are adorable and definitely on my ‘to make’ list.

The Batsford Book of Sewing is another product of the 1970’s. This covers all nature of dressmaking procedures so as a self-taught dressmaker, I find it incredibly useful!

Shortcuts for Busy Dressmakers is similar to The Batsford Book of Sewing, but like the name suggests, it explains the quick way of doing things! Of course this is fantastic for any dressmaker lacking in time (or patience!)



This final book perhaps pushes the topic of this post from ‘retro craft books’ to ‘vintage craft books’!
Encyclopedia of Needlework was gifted to me a few weeks ago by my Nanny. (She always gives me cool stuff!)


It details a huge number of needlework methods and includes some beautiful colour plates. I was hesitant to read this book since I was afraid it might fall apart, but to my delight it has been digitised--find the book in its entirety at http://encyclopediaofneedlework.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading all your sweet comments makes me happy! :) I appreciate each and every one and try to reply to all that I can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...