Monday 31 October 2011

Pumpkin & Red Pepper Soup

Earlier I posted about my selection of pumpkin cakes. Did it make you hungry?

This time around, I want to share my post-pumpkin-carving Halloween tradition: soup!


Soup is probably the easiest thing to make with the carved-out pumpkin flesh. I started off making it to a recipe with strict measurements, but now I ad-lib a little as I go along!

Here’s what I did this year:

Pumpkin and Red Pepper Soup

Pumpkin flesh (I used around 800g)
1 red pepper
1 small onion
1 vegetable stock cube
Salt
Pepper
Sage/any other herbs you want to use.

Note on measurements: You can basically substitute the vegetables for others, add in others, use less/more pumpkin...it’s up to you really!

1. If necessary, cut the pumpkin into small pieces (mine was already in shreds since I scooped it out with an ice cream scoop!)

2. Place the pumpkin in a large saucepan and add just enough water to cover.

3. Chop up the onion and red pepper into small pieces and add to the saucepan. Put the saucepan on the heat. Stir occasionally.

4. Make up the stock with around 400ml  of boiled water.

5. Once the water in the saucepan has started to heat up, add the stock.

6. Add in a couple of pinches of pepper, salt, sage and/or any other herbs. I only used a tiny bit of salt, but threw in a lot of pepper. After using the pepper mill, I found ground black pepper so added that, and then spotted some lemon pepper so decided to use some of that as well!

7. Cook for around 30-40 minutes, or until the vegetables have all gone soft. (I made rock cakes whilst cooking this soup!)

8. Liquidise in a blender, pour yourself a bowl and enjoy!


The soup I made tasted fairly subtle at first--then you get the bite from the pepper! Delicious!  I ended up with around 2 litres of soup, so have plenty to eat over the next few days!

Hope this was inspiring! I really think soup is a matter of taste, and cooking up a batch is really easy, especially if you use premade stock to add a little flavour.

Now I’m going to light my pumpkin and lie in wait for trick or treaters…

Linking up at the linkys in the side bar :D

Featured on:

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm...your soup sounds wonderful! I love the combination of the pumpkin and red pepper!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds yummy, love interesting creamy soups. I would love for you to join my weekly linky party, fri-mon come strut your stuff. I am following you on pinterest, can't wait to see your pins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Featurin your soup on Thursday at Bacon Time :)

    ReplyDelete

Reading all your sweet comments makes me happy! :) I appreciate each and every one and try to reply to all that I can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...