Saturday 2 June 2012

Skirt Refashion


Today I want to share a skirt refashion that I finished off recently!

Originally this skirt came from a £1 sale rail at a charity shop. Well, I think that it was a skirt.

The original ‘skirt’ was a bit strange really!
It seemed to be a wraparound, since it had a hole in the waist band for threading one of the ties through. But wearing it in the normal way would put the pockets at the back...and the pockets were in a style clearly meant to be at the front of the garment, like on a hoodie.




So it was either a very strange skirt, or a large apron!

Anyway. I loved the print and wanted to keep as much of that as possible. So I unpicked the waistband and the end seams. Then I sewed the seams together and installed a zip at the top. I also sewed a piece of the waistband behind the zip

I cut the waistband to size, gathered the top of the skirt so it would fit my waist, and sewed on the waistband anew. Then I sewed on a press stud to finish off!



Now the pockets are where they should be: at the front!

Since I had a lot of waistband/tie left over, I made this headband, too:


The buckle is just plastic and came from a charity shop. To make this I threaded on the buckle and sewed a short piece of elastic between the two ends of the length of fabric.



I still have some of the original waistband left, so have put it in my stash for later use!

4 comments:

  1. I love the print too, how gorgeous is that fabric? You've turned it into a perfect maxi skirt! Pinning b/c it is just so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so pretty Kei. Love the headband too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this skirt, it would be perfect for summer...if we haven't already had all the summer we're going to get! :D xx

    ReplyDelete

Reading all your sweet comments makes me happy! :) I appreciate each and every one and try to reply to all that I can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...